Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc Review
The Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc is the top of the range model and is designed to keep working no matter what you throw at it. We used these as our hires bikes a few years ago and they are sturdy little beasts that stay loyal no matter how much you abuse them. With a 3 x 9 drivetrain, hydraulic disc brakes and 29er wheels they are designed for on and off road and are the BEST mountain bike you can invest your money in at this price if you are new to the sport.
The REAL Mountain Bike.
- Improved performance and confidence in riding with 29 inch wheels -read rolls over everything!!
- Wide gearing range gives you plenty to go at if you're planning on loading it up for days out or touring.
- Less maintenance required thanks to full length weather resistant cable housings and corrosion resistant hardware.
- More contolled and confident riding in all weather conditions with disc brake stopping power.
- Full mudguard, rack and kick stand mounts for versatility.
So what is True Trail Performance?
- Precise handling and efficient power transfer from the lightweight and full alumium frame with every attention paid to trail geometry so you feel secure on the bike no matter how hard you are riding.
- Smooth and offering you more control with reliable traction in rough conditions due to a lightweight, damped suspension fork with a lockout.
- Maxiumum confidence, control and stopping power with hydraulic disc brakes, and super versatile Ground Control tyres.
- High durability and low maintenance thanks to component choice including full cable outers and corrosion-resistant hardware.
So why is an Aluminium frame so great?
- A fully formed and butted A1 aluminium frame delivers fast acceleration and climbing, and it will remain stable on the descents. A1 alloy offers increased comfort and durability over the rough stuff without sacrificing it's strength.
Why have hydraulic disc brakes?
- Hydraulic disc brakes offer a more consistent stopping power, and allow you to modualte your braking fr enhanced control. Easy to look after they need a bleed roughly once a year and then they just need you to check on pad wear every now and again and theat's it! Super easy and no faffing to be had.
- The Hardrock Sport Disc uses 80mm of front suspension travel with a lockout for efficiency on the road or going up hill. A dampened suspension fork provides a fine-tuned ride with the ability to keep your wheels firmly glued to the trail no matter how rough or steep it gets. An oil-regulated fork provides smooth compression and rebound tuning.
3 x 9 Gearing, what's this?
- This system offers you a big range of gearing if you struggle with hills or are planning on loading up your bike with weight. A 11-34 on the rear cassette gives you a huge range that will help you with this.
- FRAME Specialized A1 Premium Aluminium 29er, fully butted, 6061 alloy, ORE downtube, externally relieved headtube, forged dropouts and reinforced disc mount, alloy replaceable der. hanger
- FORK SR Suntour SF13-XCT-MLO 29", coil/MCU spring, 1-1/8" steel steerer, mechanical lock out w/ preload adj., 28mm stanchions, post mount disc, 80mm travel
- HEADSET 1-1/8" threadless, loose ball
- STEM Alloy, 4 bolt clamp, 10º rise, 25.4mm
- HANDLEBARS Specialized flat bar, alloy, 640mm & 660mm wide, 8º backsweep, 4º upsweep, 25.4mm
- GRIPS Specialized BodyGeometry XCT, Kraton w/ gel, 132mm
- FRONT BRAKE Tektro HDC 300, hydraulic disc, dual piston, Lightwave style rotor, 160mm
- REAR BRAKE Tektro HDC 300, hydraulic disc, dual piston, Lightwave style rotor, 160mm
- BRAKE LEVERS Tektro, hydraulic lever
- FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Altus, 8-speed, 34.9mm clamp, low mount, top-swing, dual-pull
- REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Acera, SGS Cage
- SHIFT LEVERS Shimano Altus, 8-speed Rapidfire plus, SL type w/ optical display
- CASSETTE Sunrace, 8-speed cassette, 11-34
- CHAIN KMC X-8, 8-speed w/ reusable Missing Link
- CRANKSET SR Suntour XCT, 8-speed, square taper spindle
- CHAINRINGS 42/32/22, steel
- BOTTOM BRACKET Square taper, cartridge bearing, 68mm shell
- PEDALS Composite platform, w/ reflectors, 9/16"
- RIMS HR Disc 29", alloy double-wall, disc, pin joint, 25mm, 36h
- FRONT HUB Alloy disc hub, double sealed loose bearing, steel axle, QR, 32h
- REAR HUB Alloy disc hub, double sealed loose bearing, steel axle, steel cassette body, QR, 32h
- SPOKES Stainless, 2.0mm (14g)
- FRONT TYRE Specialized Fast Trak Sport, 29"x2.0", wire bead, 40TPI
- REAR TYRE Specialized Fast Trak Sport, 29"x2.0", wire bead, 40TPI
- INNER TUBES Schrader valve
- SADDLE Specialized BodyGeometry Hardrock, steel rails, 143mm width
- SEATPOST Alloy two bolt, 12.5mm offset, micro adjust, 30.9mm, 350mm or 400mm
- SEAT BINDER 34.9mm, alloy QR, nylon washer